Initial Questions from Win32 User

Mo DeJong mdejong@cygnus.com
Sat Aug 19 15:20:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Stan Mitchell wrote:

> Hello All

Hello Stan.

> Thank you for making SN available as open source.
> I've been using it since version 4.2. Now that I can
> customize it more to my needs, it may get a lot more
> "air time" on my development machine.
>
> So far, I've been able to build the distribution using
> cygwin and VC++6. Next, I'm looking at starting some
> customizations and I have some related questions.
>
> It would seem that ../snav/share/gui/*.tcl are the core
> application source files. Are these executed as script
> files or are they byte-compiled during the build & install?

Tcl has a built in byte code compiler, the .tcl source
files get compiled as needed at runtime. The sources
are all that you need to install.

> Is there some facility for debug tracing, such as an output
> widget or console to which debug print statements can be
> directed?

Yes, start SN like this to print debug info:

./snavigator --debug 9

> Lastly, there is one serious problem (to me at least) with
> the redirection of output from compiler tools. Our build
> process uses some "front-ends" to make. The output from
> the front-end tool is displayed in the output browser
> but the output from make and the compilers appears in a
> separate Win32 console. As soon as the build completes,
> the console is removed, and so is the output, since it is
> not redirected to the browser. This makes it impossible
> to navigate to source lines where compile errors have
> occurred. Is this something that can be fixed in multimake.tcl
> or is it a problem with tcl's 'exec' command?

It sounds like a problem with your front end. You need to
exec the process that is going to write compiler output
to stdout.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc