First questions...

Syd Polk spolk@redhat.com
Tue Aug 8 15:01:00 GMT 2000

At 10:43 PM 8/8/00 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 10:59:51AM -0700, Syd Polk wrote:
>
> > In general, after 12 years of Windows programming, I really want all of my
> > .exe and .dll files in the same directory. It just makes things so much
> easier.
>
>Would it be possible to do things differently on Windows?  Looking at
>the source I'm guessing not, but it looks like the main problems are
>the differences in SOP between Windows and Unix.  It's normal and
>expected for Windows pacakges to do a lot of what you're doing, but on
>Unix it's not generally considered acceptable to do things in the same
>way.

This is a lot of work with configure and make. If I get some time, I might
get motivated, but I doubt it.

What we will do short term is make the default make install dir to be
/usr/local/sourcenav.

>Incidentally, there seems to be a dependancy problem with building the
>Fortran parser - a parallel build failed for me earlier on today because
>something tried to build using the output of yacc before yacc had been
>run.  Unfortuntately, I lost the log and automake is a little too opaque
>for me right now.

We don't build using a parallel system. There might be something wrong, but
I think those parts of the Makefile.am are fairly straightfoward.

>--
>Mark Brown  mailto:broonie@tardis.ed.ac.uk   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
>             http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/
>EUFS        http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/filmsoc/

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.