First questions...

Ben Elliston bje@redhat.com
Mon Aug 7 17:13:00 GMT 2000

   > What you are suggesting doesn't conform to the GNU directory layout.  If
   > there are a lot of executables in the bin/ directory, perhaps we need to
   > look at moving them to libexec if they aren't programs that a user would
   > invoke directly themselves.

   The problem with that is that making a libexec directory makes it
   really hard to launch from Windows. It makes it necessary to put some
   of the sourcenav directories on the path. It is not really feasible.

Many packages that use `configure' aren't as ambitious as Source-Nav with
respect to relocation.  They use $prefix everywhere to make it possible to
track down supporting files, programs, etc.  The expectation is that if you
need to relocate it to somewhere else, you can just build it again from the
source.

If S-N took this approach, wouldn't it be possible to run supporting
programs by providing their absolute path?  Surely Windows could find them
then?

Ben