First questions...

Syd Polk spolk@redhat.com
Mon Aug 7 09:01:00 GMT 2000

Nils Lohner wrote:

> Hello,
>   I've just downloaded sourcenav and am in the process of compiling it under
> solaris.  I already have a few comments and questions.
>
> 1.  Why isn't it available from CVS?  at 14M for the source its a pain to
> keep up, especially over slow (<=ISDN) links.  cvs would help this project
> develop more quickly IMO.

There are multiple reasons. One is that this version of the source is not the
active development branch. The other is related to below.

> 2. Why on earth is tcl/tk 8.1 _included_ in the sourceball??!!??
> /sup/build/SN451 > du -s t*8.1
> 13846   tcl8.1
> 10195   tk8.1
>
> I won't do a 'make install' until I'm sure it won't try to overwrite my
> current 8.3.1 installation.  Can someone please explain why its included?

This will not impact you tcl 8.3.1 install. There are many reasons why we
include our own tcl version:

- This version of tcl builds in more environments
- Not everybody has tcl installed, esp. on non-Linux environments
- We share versions of Tcl with other cygnus projects. We are in the process of
upgrading tcl versions accross the board, and having our own tcl version insures
we won't screw ourselves or other projects.
- There are unfortunately Cyngus-local Tcl/Tk changes which we are in the
process of removing or submitting as patches to the mainline distribution.

> 3. an online TODO list would be useful.
>
> Well, it's still building... I'll try it with tcl/tk 8.3.1 as soon as its
> done.  What else is being done on this project at the moment?

You are going to get compile and/or link errors if you try to use tcl/tk 8.3.1.

I would suggest you browse the mailing list archives.