First questions...

Mo DeJong mdejong@cygnus.com
Sun Aug 6 18:26:00 GMT 2000

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 04:58:40PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Mark Brown wrote:
>
> > > Is it not possible to write an autoconf test to detect what you need?
>
> > Not unless the autoconf test downloads, builds, and installs
> > the correct versions of each package you do not have.
>
> People should be able to cope with installing things - other packages
> seem to manage to avoid shipping and/or installing all the stuff they
> need unconditionally.  It's probably worth remembering that a lot of
> the users you're worrying about are going to wind up getting a
> prepackaged version.

One would hope. The sad fact is that most people are not
able to build and install unless it is really simple.
./configure ; make install is nice and simple, building
with external packages is not.

> > Why can't you just use --prefix=/usr/local/SN? Perhaps the current
>
> That's horrible.  With my sysadmin hat on, it sets off lots of alarm
> bells about the effort that's going to be required to maintain the
> software.  With my developer hat on, things like that make me worry
> that the software might be fragile.  I can introduce enough bugs by
> myself without worrying about tools being buggy :-) .
>
> It's not insurmountable by any stretch of the imagination, but it's
> definately broken.
>
> > approach is non-optimal. Are you willing to help improve it?
>
> Potentially; there doesn't seem much point looking at it right now
> while these custom versions are still required.

Agreed. For right now, just use --prefix. This should be addressed
in 5.0, after we finish moving up to 8.3.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc