First questions...

Mark Brown broonie@tardis.ed.ac.uk
Sun Aug 6 17:49:00 GMT 2000

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 04:58:40PM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Is it not possible to write an autoconf test to detect what you need?

> Not unless the autoconf test downloads, builds, and installs
> the correct versions of each package you do not have.

People should be able to cope with installing things - other packages
seem to manage to avoid shipping and/or installing all the stuff they
need unconditionally.  It's probably worth remembering that a lot of
the users you're worrying about are going to wind up getting a
prepackaged version.

> Why can't you just use --prefix=/usr/local/SN? Perhaps the current

That's horrible.  With my sysadmin hat on, it sets off lots of alarm
bells about the effort that's going to be required to maintain the
software.  With my developer hat on, things like that make me worry
that the software might be fragile.  I can introduce enough bugs by
myself without worrying about tools being buggy :-) .

It's not insurmountable by any stretch of the imagination, but it's
definately broken.

> approach is non-optimal. Are you willing to help improve it?

Potentially; there doesn't seem much point looking at it right now
while these custom versions are still required.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/