First questions...

Mo DeJong mdejong@cygnus.com
Sun Aug 6 16:03:00 GMT 2000

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Ben Elliston wrote:

>    ... and why does it have it's own grep that it installs in the
>    $prefix/bin directory??!?
>
> S-N required a special version of grep that did things like a) took a list
> of files to grep from an input file and b) indicated its progress as it
> went.  As I understand it, that requirement has been lifted from the
> development tree--Mo, can you explain how you got around these requirements
> so you could use the any old grep?

The custom grep was used in the % done meter, that little meter
that goes from 1% to 100% as the grep is running. We are not going to
have a % done meter in 5.0. It is just not worth it, we just can't
require a custom version of grep. The custom grep was also used
for some result highlighting, but it will be faster to do that
with a Tcl regexp command once we move up to 8.3.

>    It definitely does install parts of tcl and TK, and almost all of the
>    manpages.  I assume that if there are namespace collisions, the newer
>    manpages that I had installed are overwritten.  Wonderful.
>
> I hear you.

Yes, it installs Tcl/Tk, I already mentioned that Tcl/Tk is required
by SN.

>    It also installs a TON of executables in the main bin dir.  Why not
>    have it install them in its own share/SN/bin dir and add the path when
>    the main executable is loaded?
>
> What you are suggesting doesn't conform to the GNU directory layout.  If
> there are a lot of executables in the bin/ directory, perhaps we need to
> look at moving them to libexec if they aren't programs that a user would
> invoke directly themselves.

If you don't like it, just use --prefix.

> >From the directory listing you've given, I can see straight away that all of
> the parsers (abrowser, cbrowser, fbrowser, etc) could be moved into libexec/
> right now.  Thoughts, guys?
>
> And as you suggest, removing the dependency on installing Tcl and Tk will
> help a lot.

We are still going to need to build Tcl/Tk, it is unlikely that
a given system is going to have the right versions or Tcl, Tk,
Itcl, BLT, Tix, or whatever. We need to supply them. It may be possible
to allow the user to tell the system not to use its own version
and use the system ones instead, but that will not be the default.
Come on, folks can not even fix a missing chmod, there is no
way everyone is going to be able to figure out problems related
to building with the wrong version of Tcl/Tk.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc