First questions...

Mo DeJong mdejong@cygnus.com
Sat Aug 5 14:55:00 GMT 2000

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Nils Lohner wrote:

> Hello,
>   I've just downloaded sourcenav and am in the process of compiling it under
> solaris.  I already have a few comments and questions.
>
> 1.  Why isn't it available from CVS?  at 14M for the source its a pain to
> keep up, especially over slow (<=ISDN) links.  cvs would help this project
> develop more quickly IMO.

It will be available as a CVS module "soon". We need to do some work
upgrading Tcl/Tk for both sourcenav and insight before we can make
them available in the sourceware CVS.

> 2. Why on earth is tcl/tk 8.1 _included_ in the sourceball??!!??
> /sup/build/SN451 > du -s t*8.1
> 13846   tcl8.1
> 10195   tk8.1

Because you need Tcl/Tk to run Source-Navigator.

> I won't do a 'make install' until I'm sure it won't try to overwrite my
> current 8.3.1 installation.  Can someone please explain why its included?

Because the code does not work with Tcl/Tk 8.3 yet, we are in the
process of upgrading. You do not need to worry about overwriting
anything, just configure with --prefix=${HOME}/sourcenav or something.

> 3. an online TODO list would be useful.
>
> Well, it's still building... I'll try it with tcl/tk 8.3.1 as soon as its
> done.  What else is being done on this project at the moment?

That is a known problem, we need to put a TODO list and a
projects list on the website.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc