SN and C Struct's

Mo DeJong mdejong@cygnus.com
Thu Aug 3 20:01:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 dave.banham@tde.alstom.com wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am about to make some suggestions for some improvements to SN4.5.1, but
> thought it best to make my introductions first.

Hi Dave.

> I am a senior software engineer in the UK working for a large engineering
> Company. The products that I am involved with have a reasonably large code base
> of around 400KLOC, most of which is C with a small amount of assembler. All of
> this is embedded with a real time operating system, which is partly why we
> haven't yet made the move to C++, and developed on Win NT4 workstations with
> Clear Case CM. It is also worth noting that the software is partitioned into a
> number of distinct sections, each in its own Clear Case VOB (that is root
> folder), which are maintained by distinct groups of engineers and used by
> several projects/products.

To be honest, the clear case support is not that well tested, so it
will be nice to have someone pounding on it.

... (long list of bugs) ...

> I have had a quick look through the SN SDK manual. It is not very obvious where
> to even start such customisations, and since I am not a TCL/TK programmer it is
> difficult to know where to start. Moreover, it sounds like setting up a MS VC++
> 5 build of SN is going to be a little tricky. Does any one have any suggestions?

Learning Tcl/Tk part is the going to be the most simple part of this
task. There are lots or Tcl/Tk resources on the web.

http://dev.scriptics.com/scripting/
http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.tcl/

You could also subscribe to the comp.lang.tcl newsgroup, there
are lot of helpful folks on that newsgroup. You will
be able to ask questions without getting flamed like on
some other scripting language newsgroups.

After that, you will need to learn how to parsers work. This
is by far the least fun, unless you like parsers. The SDK
does an good job with the basics.

If you want to hack on SN itself, be sure to run it like so:

./snavigator --debug 9

That will print lots of info about what SN is doing
to the terminal. It is a good way to find out what is going
on. Don't forget, you can use SN on SN. It is a bit more tricky
because you will be working on more than one language (Tcl and C),
but it works real nice.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc