Infrastructure work

Gilles J. Seguin segg@infonet.ca
Thu Aug 3 15:16:00 GMT 2000

Ian Roxborough wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Ben Elliston wrote:
> >    This would be cool, but then we are dependent on the user having a
> >    "clean" Tcl version (Some Tcl/Tk apps require core patching before
> >    they run).  (Of course I'm assume you mean that we should load into
> >    the users local Tcl/Tk and not a version from us.)
> >
> > Couldn't snavigator's configure script test the installed Tcl/Tk to
> > determine if it was usable?  That's precisely what Autoconf is for!
>
> We could, but how many tests? and what needs tested to make
> sure we're not running on a SN safe tcl/tk.  Is it really important?
> I know it's going to be hard tracking down reported bugs only to
> find out the user is running on a none standard tcl/tk.

Can we target tcl/tk version 8.3 supposedly the version for
the upcoming Red Hat 7.0 version (pinestripe)

tcl/tk version 8.4, can you provide information how difficult
it will be.

The question here, how do I will manage all those versions
of tcl/tk. In the sense that nearly every application
require their own version of it.