Infrastructure work

Mo DeJong mdejong@cygnus.com
Tue Aug 1 17:53:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Ian Roxborough wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Ben Elliston wrote:
> >    This would be cool, but then we are dependent on the user having a
> >    "clean" Tcl version (Some Tcl/Tk apps require core patching before
> >    they run).  (Of course I'm assume you mean that we should load into
> >    the users local Tcl/Tk and not a version from us.)
> >
> > Couldn't snavigator's configure script test the installed Tcl/Tk to
> > determine if it was usable?  That's precisely what Autoconf is for!
>
> We could, but how many tests? and what needs tested to make
> sure we're not running on a SN safe tcl/tk.  Is it really important?
> I know it's going to be hard tracking down reported bugs only to
> find out the user is running on a none standard tcl/tk.

I think we have to face reality here. People are never going to
have the "right" versions of Tcl/Tk on all systems. It is just
a lot easier to provide our own. Even if the versions of Tcl/Tk
matched, what if we fix a really critical bug in Tcl, we don't
want people to upgrade to a new OS to get a new version of Tcl
just so they can run SN.

> > Yeah.  It'd also be nice to make Berkeley DB a loadable library, too.
> > Perhaps they already allow it to be built shared?
>
> I'd like to see a more generic DB interface first so we can swap
> out our DB back ends.  I've not look at this yet, but may be they
> both go hand in hand.

http://www.qs.co.nz/Tcl/DAS.html
http://zork.net/~phil/projects.html

I am sure there are others.