Fwd: Re: Source Navigator (was: Content of the Perl6 talk)

Jean-Claude Wippler jcw@equi4.com
Sat Jul 29 14:24:00 GMT 2000

Below is a brief email exchange about a Tcl parser written in C++,
forwarded to this list as suggested by Mo DeJong.  Please don't expect
any response from me for the next month or so - I'm about drop off the
internet for a while...

You can use the code in any nice way you like, it's open source.

Regards,
Jean-Claude

---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
Subject: Re: Source Navigator (was: Content of the Perl6 talk)
Date Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2000 14:10
From: Mo DeJong <mdejong@cygnus.com>
To: Jean-Claude Wippler <jcw@equi4.com>

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Jean-Claude Wippler wrote:

> Hello Mo,
>
> [...]
> > Hey, that reminds me. If anyone would like to help improve the
> > Tcl language parser in Source-Navigator, we would really like to
> > hear from you on the SN mailing list. Some folks have already
> > started working on a Perl and Python parser. Source-Navigator
> > already has a Tcl parser, but it is not that great. What we
> > really need is for someone to write a front end to the regular
> > Tcl parser that writes out Source-Navigator symbols. It would
> > not be that large a project, we already have most of the parser
> > utils in place.

That sounds cool. It might be nice to use a mini parser. We don't
really care about a Tcl runtime, we just need to find out where
methods are invoked and so on.

> There's a Tcl parser in TinyTcl, http://mini.net/pub/ts1/tinytcl.txt

Cool, I really like how to Jacl parser turned out. I think it is
much cleaner than the C version.

> It's written in C++, you may recognize it - I learned a lot from how you
> did things in Jacl.
>
> There is also a standalone version, as part of another experiment:
>    http://www.equi4.com/jcw/tools/pink/wtcl.cpp

We are going to be in the GnuPro release process
for the next couple of months, so we are not going
to be able to improve Tcl support in SN. This is one
of those areas that "community involvement" is
needed.

> The coming month is sort of crazy, unfortunately.  In September, I'll be
> revisiting this stuff - to make it more general.  If there's an easy way
> to make this code useful for SN, I'd be happy to do so.

Could you post a note about this on sourcenav@sources.redhat.com?
That way, other folks will know about your code and plans, there is
already one other guys talking about fixing the Tcl parser.

[...]