Highlight region and keyboard insertion point get mismatched in fileopen dialog box

Gilles J. Seguin segg@infonet.ca
Thu Jul 27 10:12:00 GMT 2000

Albert Wong wrote:

> I noticed that in Source Navigator 4.5.1, if you have a text region
> highlighted in a file open dialog box's "File name" input field, move
> focus away from the file name input box (lick click on the graphical
> browser part) and then move back to highlight a subsegment of the "File
> name" text, the keyboard insert point moves to the end of the text
> ignoring the highlight region.  This is somewhat annoying because when you
> type, you insert at the end of the text, but the highlighted region still
> disappears.
>         It looks like the highlight region and the text region are
> ignoring the initial mouse click (as the highlight always starts from the
> left and the text insert's always on the furthest right), and the cursor
> ignores subsequent dragging. Perhaps it should follow the mouse location
> more closely so that if you can highlight an arbitrary section rather than
> a section from the beginning of the text.
>
> To reproduce this:
>  - Get to a file open dialog box somehow (like File|Open Project)
>  - Type in something in the filename field
>  - click on  a folder
>  - try to select a sub region (before the last char) of what you typed
>  - type something else, which you'd expect to replace the highlighted text
>
> -Albert

This problem can be reproduce if you compile on your system the source
of the Source-Navigator, with ./configure & make & make isntall.

** Problems describe below do not occur with the binary downloaded
** that is for me "SN451Linux.tar.gz".

In the File name box's "File name" input field with explicit cursor:

We have bad behavior with that entry box.
With button1 down in that box to acquire the input focus,
if we have text present in the box, the text is highlighted and
the insertion cursor is display at the end.
If the button1 is still held down, and perceptible movement occur then
the text is unhighligthed, the insertion cursor stay at end
of text, further movement will highligth select text.
In that case, releasing button1, we have the text still highligthed
and the insertion cursor at end.
Keyboard input will remove the highligthed indication, leaving the text
in place and characters are added at the position of the insertion
cursor.  This is not the correct behavior.

Looking for similar problem elsewhere.
I have also bad behavior in the editor window with the symbold
accelerator.  If I type text in that box and after the mouse
pointer move out of the window, the text in that entry box
is reset, the next keyboard character will be display alone.
The behavior is different if you have make a selection in the
edit browser.
The text selected will be display in the entry box, now the entry or
exit of the mouse pointer from the symbol declarator will not
reset/erase the text in that box.

On the same toolbar, the find box, I can make the computer beep
when the mouse pointer is leaving this window.  Typed text is
also erase when leaving the box.

Gilles,