The GNU Toolchain Infrastructure Project

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh@gotplt.org
Fri Sep 30 15:34:38 GMT 2022

On 2022-09-30 11:22, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 10:35:45AM -0400, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
>>> I get the feeling also there is too many corporations trying to push
>>> the way forward with this proposal rather than a true open source
>>> community.
>>
>> It is a fact that most people on the steering committee, stewards, etc.
>> are paid by corporations to work on the GNU toolchain.  Claiming that
>> they're doing this for their company's interests rather than in the
>> interest of the upstream project itself is unfair to them IMO.
>
> Are the only corporations associated with the GTI those who have
> employees working on the "GNU Toolchain"?  This argument only works,
> IMO, if that is true.  Otherwise it could be construed as corporations
> who have no direct stake in "GNU Toolchain" development influencing
> development because they provide $$$.

The specific part I responded to referred to (AFAICT) the folks who have
been working on the GTI proposal; they are all long time members of the
GNU toolchain community.  Would sponsors have a similarly strong
connection?  Likely not all of them, and IMO that's a good thing because
it gives companies that are not comfortable (or don't have the means of)
getting involved directly a way to contribute to the sustenance of a
project.

It also gives them influence, but we have a considerable amount of
control over that through the TAC, which is comprised of folks from the
community.

Sid