The GNU Toolchain Infrastructure Project

Joseph Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Thu Sep 29 17:13:33 GMT 2022

On Thu, 29 Sep 2022, Jonathan Corbet via Overseers wrote:

> Just for the record, it is still my feeling that the LF's infrastructure
> management has been a good thing for the kernel community.  Whether it
> would be suitable for the toolchain community is not something I'm in a
> position to have an opinion on.  If anybody is curious about how
> interactions with that group work, there is a current discussion on
> bugzilla that might be interesting:
>
>   https://lwn.net/ml/ksummit-discuss/05d149a0-e3de-8b09-ecc0-3ea73e080be3@leemhuis.info/

Regarding Bugzilla, also see the GTI TAC meeting (24 Aug 2022) recording
at 23:37 to 25:44.  It's not clear what good solutions are right now for
free software issue tracking, taking into account considerations such as:

* easy for anyone to submit and comment on bugs;

* protection against spam bug and comment submission (which is in tension
with easy bug submission; we have restricted account creation, with people
needing to email overseers to create an account on sourceware Bugzilla at
all, or to email gcc-bugzilla-account-request to create an account on GCC
Bugzilla from a large number of common email domains in which spammers can
easily create accounts);

* configurability of the fields and values of those fields and other logic
used in the bug tracker;

* ability to get a local copy of the tracker data (this is an area where
Bugzilla is weak; you can probably do something with the REST API, but
it's not designed to make it easy for someone to keep a local copy of all
the data up to date the way git is);

* being an actively maintained project (that also being a concern for
Bugzilla).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com