BBB instances

Ian Kelling iank@fsf.org
Fri Sep 23 00:03:43 GMT 2022

FSF is working on helping BBB to move databases. In hindsight, my post
was off-hand and alarmist, and partly plain wrong: I assumed that a free
version of mongo wouldn't work with the latest BBB. After posting, I
actually tested it, and the latest version of BBB (2.5) actually can be
used with a free version of mongodb, (i tried 3.6, which I think is fine
to run for many years from now, even if it is in an older distro
chroot). Thank you to Bradley and SFC for documenting the freedom fix
for BBB 2.3 ( https://k.sfconservancy.org/conservancy-bigbluebutton ). I
note that BBB 2.3 still has an indefinite support timeline, so it is a
fine version to use. I'll be working on getting that and the BBB 2.5
freedom fix upstreamed. As Bradley suggested, if you know about this
issue, BBB is fine. At FSF, we evaluated Jitsi a few years ago and found
BBB to be more reliable, a bit more scalable, and have more features
geared toward presentations and teaching, and we plan to keep using it
including for LibrePlanet 2023.

With my personal FSF sysadmin hat on, I look forward to more and ongoing
collaboration with Sourceware and SFC.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF