proposing Sourceware as Software Freedom Conservancy member project

Dodji Seketeli dodji@seketeli.org
Mon Sep 5 12:20:14 GMT 2022

Hello,

First of all, I'd like to warmly thank the overseers of the sourceware
service for providing us with such a great home during all those years.

And things just kept improving.  For instance, I am an extremely happy
user of the buildbot and inbox services.  What a change these brought!
And all of that based on a 100% Free Software infrastructure.  For some
of us, that matters a lot.

[...]

"Frank Ch. Eigler via Overseers" <overseers@sourceware.org> a écrit:

> The overseers of the hosting server sourceware.org aka cygwin.org aka
> gcc.gnu.org aka (others *) invite the community to assist us in
> further securing the future of the service.  Red Hat has been and
> continues to be a generous sponsor of the hardware, connectivity, and
> the very modest employee time it requires.  We are glad to report
> there are zero indications of any change to this commitment.  Things
> are stable, new services are coming online, and users seem to be
> happy.  However, it is always good to think about any future needs.
>
> To protect confidence in the long term future of this hosting service,
> we have reached out to the Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC) to
> function as a "fiscal sponsor".  For those who aren't familiar with
> it, the SFC is a registered US 501(c)(3) public-benefit charity,
> associated with dozens of major FOSS projects, including Buildbot,
> Inkscape, Git, Outreachy, QEMU and Xapian:
> https://sfconservancy.org/projects/current/

I am thrilled to see this development.

I must say that I didn't need my confidence in the long term future of
this hosting service to be protected given how smooth things have been
so far.

Given how strong of a steward the SFC has been for so many great
Free Software projects over the years, I welcome this move
wholeheartedly.

With my humble libabigail maintainer hat on, this is a +10000 from me.

[...]

Cheers,

--
		Dodji