proposing Sourceware as Software Freedom Conservancy member project

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Fri Sep 2 11:47:57 GMT 2022

Hi,

On Tue, 2022-08-30 at 14:03 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler via Overseers
wrote:
> We are reaching out to the 20 most active projects on
> Sourceware (binutils, bunsen, bzip2, cgen, cygwin, debugedit, dwz,
> elfutils, gcc, gccrs, gdb, glibc, insight, kawa, libabigail, libffi,
> newlib, sid, systemtap, valgrind) about this proposal to make sure
> nobody is caught unaware. And Sourceware is also responsible for
> preserving the history of another 40 projects which are either less
> active, have been archived or moved on.

So this generated almost 6000 emails about the proposal and even an lwn
news article: https://lwn.net/Articles/906502/

And normally you hit at least one troll when doing such a broad public
discussion (knock on wood) which is why I was a little hesitant when
the Conservancy requested we be very public about the application. But
all responses have been positive. I didn't even get any negative
personal emails about spamming so many people.

Also asking around in some of the irc channels of a few sourceware
projects people seemed positive about the application or at worst
neutral. No negative reactions at all.

So I believe people are generally happy with how overseers are handling
sourceware and people trust SFC to be a good fiscal sponsor for the
project.

Cheers,

Mark