proposing Sourceware as Software Freedom Conservancy member project

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 18:45:56 GMT 2022

On Aug 30 14:03, Frank Ch. Eigler via Overseers wrote:
> SFC takes open applications from FOSS communities and projects. Our
> application process has just begun.  As a part of this effort, we
> contemplate no necessary technical change or disruption of any sort,
> including to operations, governance, or hosted project procedures or
> licensing.  It would be solely a way to help future needs by providing
> routing for financial contributions, and have an official, charitable
> entity (with a real legal existence) for supporting sourceware.org.
> If accepted as a member project, sourceware.org would have access to
> this list of services from SFC, and possibly more:
> https://sfconservancy.org/projects/services/

Some of these services sound pretty good.  I like especially the
"Avoid Non-Profit Administrivia" :)))

> This year, we set up a roadmap to improve the services for tracking
> and automation of email based patches and testing
> https://inbox.sourceware.org/overseers/YrLdfDWzq1T4k5xg@wildebeest.org/
> This resulted in the launch of several new or updated services
> (builder.sourceware.org, patchwork.sourceware.org and
> inbox.sourceware.org).  This didn't need any additional funds (except
> for the sourcehut mirror which costs $10 a month).  We are proud to
> operate these services with minimal costs so we can sustain them both
> in good and in bad years.  But that doesn't mean everything has to be
> done on a zero budget.  Financial contributions are more than welcome
> so that if the need arises we can contract for some unusual admin
> stuff or additions to services like bugzilla, buildbot, patchwork,
> public-inbox or sourcehut.

I'd like to raise my finger here.  As you probably know well, Cygwin has
very little need for official services like the above.  Apart from
website, git, and mailing list, we especially require the handcrafted
services for our Windows-centric package management of our distro.
We're maintaining this stuff pretty much self-sufficiently for a long
time.  I take it this can continue and will still be supported in
future?

Corinna