inbox.sourceware.org experiment

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Tue Aug 23 22:08:51 GMT 2022

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 03:50:54PM +0200, Mark Wielaard via Overseers wrote:
> > > And do we need to update/regenerate
> > > /etc/aliases.db and/or /etc/mailman/aliases.db ?
> >
> > The proposal is to not touch /etc/aliases* NOR /etc/mailman/aliases*.
> > The proposal is to generate a new file like
> > /etc/postfix/mailman-inbox-aliases from /etc/mailman/aliases.  That
> > new file would be the one postfix would read.  It could be texthash:
> > rather than hash: so postmap would not even be necessary for updates.
> > That depends on whether the relevant alias-expansion postfix process
> > is short- or long-lived.
>
> OK, I see the following in /etc/postfix.main:
>
> # CGF 2020-03-08 12:49
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
>
> # CGF 2020-03-18 14:10 EST - newaliases wasn't affecting /etc/mailman/aliases
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
>
> So I assume calling newaliases regenerates the hash/.db files.
>
> I can write a script to generate mailman-inbox-aliases this weekend
> when I have stable internet access again. Will post to the list before
> installing to make sure I don't accidentially break something.

Sorry this took a bit longer. But I wanted to make sure I got it right.
I solved it slightly simpler by installing a /home/inbox/.forward with:
|/usr/bin/public-inbox-mda

And then simply add the inbox user as extra recipient. So the STANZA
looks like:

# STANZA START: test-list
# CREATED: Sat Mar  7 13:49:45 2020
test-list:             "|/usr/local/mailman/mailman post test-list", inbox
test-list-bounces:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mailman bounces test-list"
test-list-confirm:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mailman confirm test-list"
test-list-join:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mailman join test-list"
test-list-leave:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mailman leave test-list"
test-list-owner:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mailman owner test-list"
test-list-request:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mailman request test-list"
test-list-subscribe:   "|/usr/local/mailman/mailman subscribe test-list"
test-list-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mailman unsubscribe test-list"
# STANZA END: test-list

The script to generate those is in
/etc/mailman/mailman-aliases-to-inbox.sh
And the postfix main.cf has been updated to use the generated
/etc/mailman/aliases-inbox

The only thing I don't know is how to automate the
/etc/mailman/mailman-aliases-to-inbox.sh running when new lists are
added. Should this be a mailman trigger or cronjob check?

Thanks,

Mark