inbox.sourceware.org experiment

Frank Ch. Eigler fche@elastic.org
Tue Aug 16 22:10:58 GMT 2022

Hi -

> It turns out public-inbox does support importing a full mbox in one
> go. But it doesn't have a nice binary for it yet. There is however
> scripts/import_vger_from_mbox in upstream git which is easily adapted
> (just remove the vger specific filtering).

This is already 99% done for the sourceware mailing lists.

> [...]
> Note this is V2 plus full indexing and includes and extra historical
> elfutils-devel.nospam.mbox

Is there a need for "full" indexing as opposed to "basic"?  I don't
see why we'd need another text search engine for this stuff, we
already have.  The basic "v1" with basic indexing seems fine and
effective for web and nntp.

> [...]
> I don't have a solution for keeping the archive up to date. [...]

We can hack a postfix->|mailman and |inbox-mda alias-fork
and dual pipe delivery for each mailing list.

- FChE