Adding binutils to the GNU Toolchain buildbot on sourceware

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Fri Apr 29 17:54:48 GMT 2022

Hi Nick,

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 06:50:02PM +0100, Nick Alcock wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2022, Luis Machado via Binutils outgrape:
> > It would make sense to build-test gdb if any of the following changes:
> [...]
> > libctf/
>
> This won't do much with gdb without a (much) newer compiler. (I
> build-test gdb before every libctf commit -- every commit that I do,
> anyway. I do actual gdb test runs rather less often. I should fix that,
> at least for the CTF tests...)
>
> It doesn't change anywhere near as often as GDB though so the cost of
> adding it is low.

How much newer compiler are we talking? There are other builders that
use workers which might have newer gcc installed.

A change in libctf is tested against a build of gdb (but no tests
yet).  Should a change in libctf also cause a check of a build of
gas/ld/binutils/gold and tests of gas/ld/binutils?

Are there any specific ctf tests that aren't part of the above
testsuite? If so would it make sense to make libctf its own "project"
so that a change to libctf (and any depended directoy/config files)
would cause a "just build libctf and run the ctf testsuite"?

Maybe we should add something similar for gprof, gprofng and sim?

Cheers,

Mark