yahoo.com address on gcc-patches
Mike Stump
mikestump@comcast.net
Fri May 9 18:41:00 GMT 2014
Yahoo.com has set their dmarc policy to reject all email that can’t pass verification:
https://dmarcian.com/dmarc-inspector/yahoo.com
Such a dmarc policy is not presently compatible with mailing lists, nor are mailing lists presently compatible with this dmarc policy. dmarc uses dkim under the hood to verify email. Mailing lists work in part by rewriting email and resending mail, both of which can cause email to fail to verify.
Because of this, all yahoo addresses should be removed from all mailing lists. In particular dw <limegreensocks@yahoo.com> is on the gcc-patches mailing list and is causing bounced messages to people that post to the mailing list.
See google("yahoo mailing list dmarc”) for more information.
I’m emailing today, as I am one of those people seeing the bounced messages:
Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org mailing list.
Messages to you from the gcc-patches mailing list seem to
have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
message I received.
If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
I will remove your address from the gcc-patches mailing list,
without further notice.
I've kept a list of which messages from the gcc-patches mailing list have
bounced from your address.
Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
send an empty message to:
<gcc-patches-get.123_145@gcc.gnu.org>
To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
send an empty message to:
<gcc-patches-index@gcc.gnu.org>
Here are the message numbers:
366104
366241
366318
366656
366748
--- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.
Return-Path: <>
Received: (qmail 20685 invoked for bounce); 28 Apr 2014 00:05:47 -0000
Date: 28 Apr 2014 00:05:47 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: gcc-patches-return-366104-@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: failure notice
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
<mikestump@comcast.net>:
User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
<mikestump@comcast.net> 68.87.26.147 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550 5.2.0 vB3r1n01X2qVqVd0ZB3rua Message rejected due to DMARC. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#DM000001
More information about the Overseers
mailing list