sourceware hardware transition

Frank Ch. Eigler fche@redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 21:29:00 GMT 2013

Hi -

I propose to spend the week of March 18..22 on the long-awaited
sourceware hardware transition task.  I'd appreciate some overseer
availability/assistance/advice.

My rough plan is to:

- announce to the various groups that there will be outage(s) next week

Next monday:

- bring down most network services on server
- do a couple of final rsyncs from server.->server[45]
- IP-number-exchange server5 <-> server
- bring up server5 running basically nothing, just ssh
- then activate network services one by one as their
  files/configurations are hand-massaged, in this likely order
  of priorities:
     - git/cvs
     - mail
     - httpd
     - other stuff
  (If people are too worried about the loss of some email or somesuch
  during the back-on transition, I guess we could firewall everything
  off until everything is up, then let the awaiting hordes in.)

If things go too south, I'd undo the renumbering, and be back where we
were.

- FChE