Internet traffic on overseers seems very much improved

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Sun Mar 4 09:59:00 GMT 2001


I just realized that I was doing some local editing on
sources.redhat.com today and I wasn't in the usual "type really fast,
realize that I made a mistake, backspace really fast, overshoot the
mistake gnash teeth, laboriously move cursor to mistake mode".  That is
because the response time is almost interactive there!

This is probably due to several things:

1) Using a local DNS.

2) Blocking cygwin downloads.

3) Using djbdns.

4) ??  Ian did you do anything else that would help???

Anyway, it is almost pleasant to do work on sources.redhat.com now.

I have been monitoring the mirrors downloads to make sure that I haven't
inadvertently blocked any valid mirror sites from downloading.  So far,
it seems like only freesoftware.com was affected, and had been affected
for some time.  They were logging in as a normal anonymous user from
some site which didn't do reverse DNS correctly.  This meant that it was
very hard for them to keep their site up to date since they were
competing with the rest of the world for downloads.

As of today, this doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

Wild idea: Do we want to designate some cooperative mirror site as
'ftp.sources.redhat.com' and block all ftp downloads from
sources.redhat.com?  The downside would be that changes to our
ftp directories wouldn't show up for some time.  The upside is
obvious.

cgf



More information about the Overseers mailing list