Should we eliminate IP address lookup for incoming e-mail?

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Wed Feb 28 14:07:00 GMT 2001


Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com> writes:

> Of all the admins I know, the only ones running IDENT servers are ones
> inside an isolated network (intranets, I think, is what the youngsters call
> 'em).  All the others refuse to run identd on anything connected to the
> internet at large.  So I agree that at least not doing a username lookup
> is a good idea.  I can't speak to the other points you raise.

I run an IDENT server on my tiny system; I have nothing to hide.

The FSF runs an IDENT server on their systems; however, it always
reports the user name we-refuse-to-spy-on-our-users.

I look at Received headers from time to time when fighting spam, and
in my experience a surprising number of e-mail servers do run IDENT
servers.  Of course, the information is pretty much always useless.

Ian



More information about the Overseers mailing list