The GNU CVS Server: subversions

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Sat Mar 11 07:35:00 GMT 2000


On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 06:23:44AM -0800, Jeff Bailey wrote:
>Friends, Redhatters, Country(wo)men...
>
>Many of you have heard of `subversions' the new GNU CVS server.  If not, 
>basically, it's intended to be a fast, secure, and incredably well-named 
>server dedicated to hosting CVS repositories for GNU projects.  The 
>general idea is that hopefully all GNU projects will find there way over 
>there.  There are 2 problems with this:
>
>1) GNU doesn't have the greatest reputation for secure and fast servers.
>2) Y'all already have a perfectly functioning `sourceware' server.
>
>The solution: With your permission, I'd like to rsync over the 
>repositories so that they are available on subversions.  I have already 
>tested this (with tromey's permission) for automake and it appears to 
>work.  I haven't figured out a reasonable update schedule yet that 
>balances accuracy and bandwidth, but that doesn't have to be done yet.
>
>The subversions server features anoncvs access, cvs-web, and anonymous 
>rsync access.  For projects that are hosted there, write access is 
>controlled per module.  We are trying to position it so that anyone who 
>needs a snapshot of GNU code can go to a single place (or one of it's 
>mirrors) and find it.  I'd appreciate your help in acheiving this.
>
>As we used to say in debating: "I now stand ready for cross-examination" =)

I don't understand the goal of periodically transferring a CVS
repository to another server.  If I was interested in contributing to a
project I would use the main repository.  This also applies to reading
from a repository.  One of the reasons (the only reason?) people use CVS
repositories is to ensure that they are up to date with the main
development source.

A repository that has been synced with the master is going to be out of
date most of the time if there is active development going on.  I am
not sure that I want to handle the inevitable user questions and
confusion that would result from this.

cgf


More information about the Overseers mailing list