Various libgloss problems after recent changes

Richard Earnshaw Richard.Earnshaw@foss.arm.com
Fri Feb 10 11:21:00 GMT 2023

On 09/02/2023 22:54, Jeff Johnston wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Want to try out the attached patch?
>
> -- Jeff J.
>

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2023 at 7:48 PM Jeff Law <jeffreyalaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The fr30-elf and xstormy16-elf ports have been failing to build for
>> about a month with this error:
>>
>>    > fr30-elf-as  -I. -I../../../../..//newlib-cygwin/libgloss/fr30/..
>> -I./.. -idirafter
>> ../../../../..//newlib-cygwin/libgloss/fr30/../../include  -o crt0.o
>> ../../../../..//newlib-cygwin/libgloss/fr30/crt0.s
>>> fr30-elf-as: unrecognized option '-idirafter'
>>

>> For a full log:
>>
>> http://law-sandy.freeddns.org:8080/job/fr30-elf/1984/console
>>
>> Hopefully this is easy to fix so we can get those ports under regular
>> testing again.
>>
>> Jeff

I'm slightly confused.  Why would some ports have -idirafter and some
not, unless they're not using GCC (or a very old one).

So wouldn't a autoconf test for -idirafter be a better approach rather
than hard-coding it.

Note that if it's due to the option not being supported in old versions
of gcc, then that's a bigger problem because the reason the option was
added in the first place (IIRC) was to support moving arm-acle-compat.h
out of the newlib subdir so it could be used with libgloss.  And
arm-acle-compat.h is there to support older versions of GCC.

And that brings up another question.  Just how old a version of GCC do
we want to support these days?  ACLE support was added to GCC 10 years
ago, in GCC-4.8. If we can drop support for compilers older than that,
we can drop using the compatibility header and get rid of the need for
-idirafter entirely.

R.