Adding support for gb2312 and sift-jis to newlib iconv

Anas N. Anas.N@nestgroup.net
Sat Dec 24 13:54:33 GMT 2022

Hi newlib team,
In the project I am working there is requirement to covert UCS2 to following code pages

1.       Chinese: gb2312
2.       Japanese: shift_ jis
3.       Russian : cp1251
4.       Hungrian, Polish and Cesky: cp1252
5.       Default:cp1250
I could see that items 3-5 are supported in newlib iconv library.

For gb2312  or gbk  I could see that it's supported in Cygwin-windows only. Is there a feasibility issue to support gb2312 for embedded cortex M controllers?

I can see Jis implementation in newlib and but is not available for Cygwin.Is It available for embedded   cortex M controllers?

What is the difference between jis and shit-jis

Thank & Regards,
Anas N