Optionally use thread-local objects for struct _reent members

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de
Thu May 19 08:49:38 GMT 2022

Hello,

I just would like to give a short status update.

With the recent patches using _REENT_GLOBAL is no longer required. The
global state of Newlib is managed by dedicated objects (for example the
FILE object list or the exit handlers). This enables us to use
thread-local objects for all members of struct _reent. We should have a
patch ready for review soon.

It would help if we could make the _REENT_GLOBAL_STDIO_STREAMS option
the default behaviour and remove the associated conditional code. It is
currently enabled by Cygwin and RTEMS. I will send a patch to discuss
this next week.

We didn't work on the support for constructors/destructors for
thread-local objects yet, see:

https://www.openwall.com/lists/libc-coord/2022/01/21/1

My approach would be to first add a prototype implementation to Newlib
using a dedicated linker set and then make a proposal for the ELF support.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München