Issue: #include <stdio.h> shall not cause intmax_t to be defined

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de
Wed May 4 09:02:18 GMT 2022

On 04/05/2022 10:54, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On May  4 10:41, Sebastian Huber wrote:

>>> Is that with FreeeBSD only, or is that with BSDs in general?
>> It seems to be a general BSD feature:
>>
>> https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/sys/sys/types.h#L75
>>
>> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/sys/types.h?rev=1.105&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
> If the BSDs expose stdint.h types via stdio.h anyway, what's the sense
> of not exposing it in the non-_BSD_VISIBLE scenario?  _BSD_VISIBLE is
> default anyway, so the non-exposure of the stdint types is restricted to
> files which define _XOPEN_SOURCE or some such.
>
> Is there actually a "MUST NOT" defined anywhere in the standards or
> was this change unnecessary?

I think the reported problem with stdio.h is because the Newlib stdio.h
includes <sys/types.h>. In FreeBSD for example, <sys/_types.h> is
included with local type definitions, see:

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/newlib/2022/019592.html

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER