newlib not building (needs aclocal)

Wed Feb 23 06:01:49 GMT 2022

On 2022-02-22 04:57, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> I think something you've changed is forcing the newlib build to now need
> a local installation of automake.  This wasn't needed before unless you
> were updating the makefiles locally.
>
> CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd [...]/libgloss && /bin/bash
> [...]/missing aclocal-1.15 -I . -I .. -I ../config
> [...]/missing: line 81: aclocal-1.15: command not found
> WARNING: 'aclocal-1.15' is missing on your system.
>           You should only need it if you modified 'acinclude.m4' or
>           'configure.ac' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac'.
>
> Did you leave something out of a commit somewhere?  If not, how can this
> be fixed so that we don't need automake during normal builds from the repo?
>
> R.
>
> PS While I appreciate what you're trying to do here, the timing couldn't
> be worse given that we're trying to stabilize a GCC release and all my
> builds are breaking at present.

If you need stability, shouldn't you freeze your newlib pull at year end
4.2.0 20211231 484d2eb snapshot, earlier about 2021-09-06 522cdab, just
before Mike started his optimization and cleanup marathon, or maybe add
an arm-gcc-dev(-11?) tag at some point in there?

Do you think perhaps devs doing extended or extensive work should create
their own newlib, topic, or remote tracking branches (as Cygwin devs do
for major work - see summary page heads or git ls-remote --heads
--sort=-creatordate | head) and commit work there, perhaps merging back
to master at intermediate points, or even not until complete?