newlib: require autoconf-2.69

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Mon Jan 10 09:07:25 GMT 2022

On Jan  7 14:10, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 07 Jan 2022 10:56, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > that's incorrect.  gcc & binutils-gdb have config/override.m4 which requires
> > > autoconf-2.69 exactly is used.  no older versions, no newer versions, only
> > > 2.69 is permitted.
> >
> > You're right, but that's not what I was up to.  Requiring 2.69 doesn't
> > mean we have to (or even should) change AC_PREREQ in every single file.
> > But, anyway, it probably won't hurt either, so just go ahead.
>
> that's true.  but then i'd question what's the point of AC_PREREQ in the first
> place.  if we move to override.m4, maybe we delete all the AC_PREREQ calls ?
> -mike

I think it's ok to leave the files alone, unless a change is really
required.  The fact that they claim to run even under, say, autoconf
2.50, is still true and doesn't hurt the build system.  If it hurts the
build system because they use an outdated autoconf expression, then a
fix should also bump AC_PREREQ.

Of course, if binutils-gdb decide differently, we can follow suit.

Corinna