Error in posix_spawn(3) man page

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Fri Jan 7 09:32:12 GMT 2022

Hi Keith,

On Jan  5 13:39, Keith Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 3:47 AM Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Keith,
> >
> > On Dec 28 19:24, Keith Thompson wrote:
> > > The posix_spawn(3) man page has incorrect types for the argv and
> > > envp parameters for the posix_spawn and posix_spawnp functions.
> > >
> > > They're shown as
> > >     char *const argv, char *const envp
> > > when they should be
> > >     char *const argv[], char *const envp[]
> > >
> > > Suggested patch (though I'm not 100% sure how the square brackets
> > > are handled when generating the man page):
> >
> > Please send a git compatible patch in `git format-patch' format.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Corinna
>
> As requested. Given the way I copy-and-pasted the patch into my email,
> it might not have
> treated tabs correctly.

It's not TABs, it's an incorrect patch format:

$ git am 0001-Fix-documented-argv-and-envp-params-for-posix_spawn.patch
Applying: Fix documented argv and envp params for posix_spawn
error: libc/posix/posix_spawn.c: does not exist in index
Patch failed at 0001 Fix documented argv and envp params for posix_spawn
hint: Use 'git am --show-current-patch=diff' to see the failed patch
[...]

Did you actually create the patch with `git format-patch'?

Thanks,
Corinna