Microblaze libgloss and gdb simulator

Joel Sherrill joel@rtems.org
Fri Apr 23 00:55:16 GMT 2021

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021, 7:27 PM Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2021 17:25, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > Sorry to post to both newlib and gdb but I hope someone in one of the
> > communities will have the answer.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to build and run a hello world on the microblaze
> > simulator in gdb using the microblaze-elf target and the code in
> libgloss?
> >
> > I don't see a configuration in DejaGNU which would have given me a hint.
> > didn't see any microblaze GCC test results on that list either so that
> > appears to line up.
>
> i think the answer is you can't with only released open source projects.
>
> the microblaze gcc config specs refer to a libxil.a that doesn't appear in
> gcc
> or newlib or libgloss, so i assume it's a bsp thing you get from xilinx.

I assumed that as well. At least their code on GitHub is now mostly
permissive licenses. I just haven't figured out what precisely that library
would be. I found a directory named xil which I assume is promising.

> ignoring that, the microblaze sim doesn't have syscall support hooked up.
> so
> it's only a CPU simulator atm.

So it has no output whatsoever? Does it get used for anything?

We are resurrecting some old work that I did for a Microblaze port. I did
write an inbyte() and outbyte() which would normally come from the xil
library. But I don't have any idea how I figured out there was a uart at a
particular address. I swear I had it working to print then but now it
faults after the first instruction.

Is there any known good executable for it? Even just seeing it operate with
a linked executable that had a crt0 and did something would be helpful at
this point.

--joel

-mike