APIs in New POSIX Edition

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowi@redhat.com
Fri Apr 9 17:55:05 GMT 2021

On Thu, 2021-04-08 at 13:49 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr  8 06:38, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> > > new

> > > The

> > > Already in newlib.

> > > Already defined in Cygwin.  We don't have a generic poll.h header in
> > > newlib.

> > > Already defined in Cygwin.  We don't have a generic dlfcn.h header in
> > > newlib.  It's questionable if this really belongs in newlib.

> > > No worries as soon as the API is stable.

> > > No worries, these APIs won't change compared to their already
> > > existing implementations in GLibc.
> > >

> > Great.
> >
> > What feature guard should these be behind? Will it change for the ones
> > already in place?
>
> There will be a matching POSIX.1-2021 or so, given by date/month,
> with guards along the lines of _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 202107L.

We have to wait and see what value glibc ends up using here:

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=include/features.h;hb=HEAD

> APIS we already have should keep their current guard or'ed with
> the above _POSIX_C_SOURCE test.

_POSIX_C_SOURCE is only externally facing, function guards will use
(__POSIX_VISIBLE >= YYYYMM).

> APIs we already have but have no guard should get _DEFAULT_SOURCE
> or'ed with the above _POSIX_C_SOURCE test.

Let's consider each such case separately.

> There are also APIs which already exist per an older POSIX version,
> but which are not guarded.  I. e., the sem_xxx functions manipulating
> POSIX semaphores.  Those don't need aguard, because they have been
> introduced in conjunction with their own header, i. e., semaphore.h.
>
> In these cases, the already existing ones still don't need a guard,
> just APIs added to the header will get the new _POSIX_C_SOURCE test.

__POSIX_VISIBLE, but yes.

--
Yaakov Selkowitz
Senior Software Engineer - Platform Enablement