Some questions on reentrancy, __DYNAMIC_REENT__ and _impure_ptr

Nick cl26@nicolachel.net
Fri Apr 2 03:39:34 GMT 2021

Thanks Dave, haha we can never have enough of anything =)

It is a bit more challenging for me as AFAIK FreeRTOS is statically
linked so it can easily see and change the _impure_ptr pointer. But in
my case, the kernel is a standalone binary which loads other programs
(that are linked with newlib, elf format) at runtime, so it either has
to parse for that pointer during load, or require special arrangement in
crt0 to report the pointer's location during process init.

It's feasible, but I'm hoping to get the __DYNAMIC_REENT__ method to
work as it seems quite a bit cleaner.

Nick