newlib is broken for spu target since 2.5.0.20170623

Michał Dec moog621@gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 23:54:46 GMT 2020

Hello,

I wanted to make a crosscompiler for the SPU on my PS3 with the newest
newlib 3.3.0 but it failed. I've reported this issue to my distribution
here https://bugs.gentoo.org/732206 and my investigations turned out
this has been broken for some time now. I've also made a diff of the
last working version and the first broken version here
https://github.com/grepwood/newlib/commit/831b6666af1f83ac173b491a5c191246203ddc37
and I can see there's something wrong POSIX threads but I'm not entirely
sure. Could anyone assist please? I know the SPU target is pretty much
dead, but there are also plans to bring the open-source PS3 SDK PSL1GHT
up to speed with new networking code from newlib, and they will also be
blocked if they can't get a compiler for the SPU.

Best regards,

Michał Dec