autoconf/automake versions needed for autoreconf

Joel Sherrill joel@rtems.org
Wed Jul 31 16:02:00 GMT 2019

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 10:42 AM Jeff Johnston <jjohnstn@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> This is a long-standing problem.  I personally am not happy with the
> autotools project.  They don't seem to regard backwards-compatibility
> as important.  For example, they removed the cygnus
> support but didn't provide any compatibility options or instructions for
> conversion.  My belief is that autotools should have dragged along old
> support and recognized when a project has an old autotools version number.
> We also have kludges in place because
> they previously didn't support testing the compiler without building the
> executable.  These break with newer autotools.

I know. I have tried to avoid even having to regenerate when working
on newlib.

> I have autoconf 2.68 and automake 1.11.6 installed on my system for
> generation.  For a while now, I have used a script that regenerates the
> configuration files
> and don't use autoreconf.  If it is touching files you didn't intend it to,
> then you will have to generate the files you want individually like I do.
> I think that Corinna has used 2.69 in the past successfully, but I don't
> care for all the errors thrown out.  So basically, newlib is locked
> down with regards to maximum autotools release.  AFAIK, there isn't
> anything in the newer releases that gives us anything or fixes any issues
> we haven't
> already got around.

I don't mind installing old versions of tools. Would you mind privately
sending me your script? I'm adding a directory so there is some
regeneration needed.

> If someone has time and wants to detangle the mess, a patch would be
> welcome, but I personally don't have the time and I don't
> trust autotools not to introduce further backward-compatibility issues that
> we may be forever chasing or be forced to freeze the level
> of autotools used yet again.

I'm not the autotools expert you're looking for. :)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone is. :(

--joel