Source file structure for fenv.h support

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Tue Jul 30 07:37:00 GMT 2019

On Jul 29 13:48, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi
>
> Vaibhav is looking at porting *BSD fenv support for a few more
> architectures. Right now, it looks like there is only SPU and RISC-V
> support with this structure:
>
> - libc/machine/ARCH/include/fenv.h - portable POSIX interface, includes
> sys/fenv.h
> - libc/machine/ARCH/include/sys/fenv.h - architecture specific details.
>
> I think (but have not confirmed) that the RISC-V version is correct per
> POSIX. The SPU version clearly is not as it does not have the right
> signature for most of the methods as they all are supposed to return int
> and not void.
>
> My proposal is to verify the RISC-V include/fenv.h is POSIX correct and
> then move it to libc/include/fenv.h.For completeness, we may need a
> minimal, non-functional sys/fenv.h which defines dummy fexcept_t and fenv_t
> structures.  But it becomes the responsibility of a port to provide
> <sys/fenv.h> and implementations.
>
> In the event a port provides the entire implementation as inlines, it can
> override fenv.h.
>
> Does this make sense? Is it a good approach? I want to avoid duplicating a
> pure POSIX version of fenv.h like RISC-V has.

Sounds good to me, but please don't forget the Cygwin version of fenv.h.
It's sys parts are basically the x86/x86_64 variation of the same, and
it's pretty complete, including glibc-only and BSD-only functions.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer