Cannot build Newlib on a Linux PC

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Mon Oct 1 21:27:00 GMT 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 2:40 AM, R. Diez <rdiezmail-newlib@yahoo.de> wrote:

> The linux build for newlib is a very delicate thing.  It works using an
>>
> > [...]
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> If we leave the Linux builds aside, what is the fastest way to test
> changes in Newlib? Is there a simulator for an embedded system that is fast
> to start up?
>
> I am working on a ARM Cortex-M4F microcontroller, and flashing a new
> firmware takes a long time. I would prefer some sort of ARM Cortex
> simulator.
>

> By the way, I am surprised that Newlib breaks this way and nobody notices.
> Does the Newlib team run some kind of automated tests before each
> release/snapshot?

A snapshot is just a snapshot.

The Linux code was a hack - it is outside the shared newlib model and is so
reliant on the local glibc.  There are better alternatives for a full C
library on Linux such as glibc itself.
I had originally thought of copying more of glibc over to prevent the
release to release issues, but it is a lot of work and nobody was using it.

Regarding normal platforms, my testing has in the past used the mn10300
simulator which I built myself from a combined source tree.  I'm sure the
ARM folks
can point you to something for ARM.