No locale definition (was smaller ramsize for newlib-nano builds)

Jaap de Wolff info@jasoon.nl
Thu Feb 8 18:14:00 GMT 2018


I am in the process of removing global locale definitions from newlib libc.

I am doing this in different steps:

 

First I removed all access to members of the struct __locale_t from folders
within libc, but outside libc/locale and libc/ctype and replace them by
macros in setlocale.h

Second I adapted the configuration that _NO_LOCALE can be defined by
./configure --disable-newlib-locale in the libc compilation

Third, in the folder clib/ctype, I removed access to the
__locale_ctype_ptr_l() and __locale_ctype_ptr() functions

Last, in the folder clib/locale, I removed access to the __locale_t struct
if _NO_LOCALE is defined.

 

At this moment I build an entire toolchain after each step (with -Werror for
newlib), to be able to test the progress, so it takes some time before I am
ready.

I am not ready yet, but when I am ready, is it preferred that I make
different patches (one of each step), or should I post one patch?

 

Jaap de Wolff

 



More information about the Newlib mailing list