dynamic linking support ?

Jason Vas Dias jason.vas.dias@gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 06:49:00 GMT 2017

Good day -
Sorry for the newbie question :
    Does newlib support dynamic linking ?
    ie. does it build a ld.so (or ld-linux.so.2) ?
If so, I am unable to get it to produce one or
to produce shared libraries.

I am trying to build newlib for a small embedded system
(BeagleBoard-X15) ,  for architecture armv7l-unknown-linux-gnu ,
with the linaro gcc 6.4.1 binutils & gcc, into a sysroot that is empty
except for kernel headers and the GMP, MPFR, MPC, and ISL libraries
& headers, as a first step.

The build and install succeeds, but produces only static library archives.

Is there some way I am missing to get newlib to produce shared libraries
and a ld.so, or is this definitively not supported (yet) ? I'd like to know.

Anyone know of a standalone open-source linux ld.so, independant of libc,
for embedded systems  ?

Thanks in advance & Regards,
Jason Vas Dias