newlib hours in service

Andrew Pinski pinskia@gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 20:03:00 GMT 2017

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com> wrote:
> On 09/06/2017 11:24 AM, Alan Ludwig wrote:
>> I'm trying to get an estimate of the order of magnitude of the total
>> number of hours in service for newlib.  Is it thousands of hours?
>> Millions of hours? Tens of millions of hours?  For which versions?
>
>   Far more than that, I'd imagine.  One of my applications has had about
> 4500 units deployed for four years in 24/7 operation, so there's 157
> million hours right there.

Plus there are some (some 4G and some wifi) Wireless base stations
with an Octeon installed and using Cavium's simple-exec which uses
newlib underneath.  There are at least I say a 10-100k of those
devices around running for the last 4 years; some running for the last
6 years now too.

So billions of hours is more likely.

Thanks,
Andrew