Compilation failures targeting arm-none-eabi, newlib-2.5.0

R0b0t1 r030t1@gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 21:07:00 GMT 2017

Hello,

I am trying to produce a toolchain capable of generating programs for
Cortex-M devices. I am using GCC 7.2.0 and binutils-2.28.1 - for a
while I was expecting to require help from the developers of those
projects, and they likely would want to support their recent releases.
If it would be expedient to use older versions please let me know.

The basic outline of all steps I am undertaking is here:
https://istarc.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/stm32f4-build-your-toolchain-from-scratch/.
The steps given seem to be lacking in certain areas and differ from
his published script, although the script does not deal with setting
up Newlib.

The failure building Newlib is as follows:

make[6]: Entering directory
'<parent>/arm-none-eabi/build/newlib-2.5.0.20170720/arm-none-eabi/libgloss/arm/semihv2m'
make[6]: *** No rule to make target 'all'.  Stop.

Configuration is:

export TARGET=arm-none-eabi
export PREFIX=/home/R0b0t1/arm-none-eabi
export PATH=$PATH:/home/R0b0t1/arm-none-eabi/bin

./configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX --with-cpu=cortex-m4
--with-fpu=fpv4-sp-d16 --with-float=hard --with-mode=thumb
--enable-interwork --enable-multilib --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
--disable-nls --disable-newlib-supplied-syscalls

If I attempt to build Newlib inside the source directory, I briefly
receive a different error involving a missing Makefile. If this should
be pursued I can try to reproduce the error, but after trying to
reproduce it I end up with the error above.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am doing my development in a VM for
now using the ARM released toolchains. It is kind of cumbersome.

R0b0t1.