Introduction and 64 bit time_t

Fri Aug 11 20:16:00 GMT 2017

On 2017-08-09 06:35, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> However, a developer might want to design an embedded system still using a 32
> bit time_t for the time being, so there should be some build-time switch for
> this case. We're talking about a 21 year timeframe, which may still be more
> than enough for some systems.

But may not be long enough for system users, as the GPS 1024 week wraparound on
1999 Aug 22 (the next one is 2019 Apr 7!), and Y2K, demonstrated.
Many embedded systems were scrapped and replaced, some only a few years old, as
nobody wanted to or could maintain them, because managers and developers did not
expect to be at those companies and/or their systems to be around in 2000.
Given 38 years warning of the issue and the changes since then, I am shocked
(but not surprised) anyone is still using 32 bit signed time_t.

OT: I remember Kent Pitman posting an apology for an MIT EMACS modeline TECO
date macro Y2K bug, that had not been changed in a few decades:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.lang.teco/pvmo3Ppm6Uk/7ScAYTLukekJ