GIT source build failure: wcwidth.c::_wcwidth misses __locale_cjk_lang()

Hans-Bernhard Bröker HBBroeker@t-online.de
Sun Sep 4 20:40:00 GMT 2016

Hello Corinna,

Am 24.08.2016 um 16:38 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Aug 23 14:34, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> No joy.  I tried a lot of stuff.  Basically I'm now down to

I continued trying and yes, there's a lot of details to get
right before this works.  Which is why this took so many days.

> No autoupdate in the top-level, it has to stay as is.
>
> No autoupdate in newlib, it breaks stuff.

I'll put it this way: some of that stuff really needs to be broken, then
put back together in a new, better way.

> $ autoreconf
>
> This fails.  I have a couple of warnings along the lines of:
>
> configure.ac:14: warning: _AC_COMPILER_EXEEXT was called before
> AC_NO_EXECUTABLES [...]
I managed to solve that by updating and reordering some things.

> Makefile.am:12: warning: source file 'net/domainname.c' is in a
> subdirectory, Makefile.am:12: but option 'subdir-objects' is
> disabled

I've been burned by that 'subdir-objects' thingy before, so decided to
fix these by giving that 'net' subdirectory its own Makefile.am and
SUBDIR it.

I eventually managed to beat all the warnings from autoreconf except the
one about automake-1.15 itself that is issued by perl.  For that I
decided to edit my local copy of /usr/bin/automake-1.15 directly :-)

Some minor points remain open:

* newlib/doc/Makefile.am builds a program to run on the build machine,
so uses $(CC_FOR_BUILD) --- but that failed here because $(CC_FOR_BUILD)
ended up being the same as $(CC), i.e. it tried to build makedoc.exe
using the new libraries under construction.  It might have been
necessary to configure the build as a cross from cygwin to cygwin ...  I
just built it with CC_FOR_BUILD=gcc instead.

* AM_V_GEN/AM_V_at could be applied more widely to yield a less wordy
compile log.  I only did some points where it seems useful.

* I'm less than clear about what to do with the libtool support files.
autoreconf really wants there to be a 'newlib/m4' directory or similar
for them to be in, but for now, they're in newlib itself.

* I don't recall if the setup was usable for a parallel make before, but
now there are definitely some problems with it.  In particular, the libm
manpage extractor rule will need to be fixed.

The only way a 'git format-patch' becomes reasonably small was with the
--irreversible-delete option, so I've attached that. If anyone needs the
whole whopping 29 MiB of it, I can send it off-list.

Have fun,

Hans-Bernhard Bröker