[manuals] Manuals failing to build on Ubuntu LTS 14.04

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Aug 11 10:09:00 GMT 2015

On 07/08/2015 11:13, Andre Vieira wrote:
> Building the manuals on Ubuntu LTS 14.04 (64-bit) using pdfTeX
> 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013/Debian) is failing with the
> following error:
> "Transcript written on libc.log.
> /usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdfetex exited with bad status, quitting."
>
> libc.log complaints about the following:
>
> You can't use `@unskip' in vertical mode.
>
> @*->@unskip
>
>              @hfil @break @hbox {}@ignorespaces
>
> For stdio/sscanf.def:275, stdio/swscanf.def:263 and time/strftime.def:213.
>
> These are all occurrences of an '@end table' (or o- in the original
> c-file) followed by some white lines and:
>   @*
>   @strong{Returns}@*
>
> (these correspond to a newline and RETURNS, in the original c-file).
>
> This code has been around for a while, so it might have to do with a
> change in pdfTex?

While this doesn't look related, I am a bit concerned that I might have
broken this with my recent documentation-related changes.  Can you check
if this problem still occurs with an older version of newlib (e.g.
commit 06105fa9 or earlier)

I agree this is likely to be a regression in pdftex.  I assume you were
able to build the documentation on some other distro with some other
version of pdftex? Can you give details of that?