[newlib] print formats for FAST and LEAST types

Andre Vieira Andre.SimoesDiasVieira@arm.com
Tue Jul 14 14:18:00 GMT 2015

On 14/07/15 14:49, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul 14 12:17, Andre Vieira wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Kevin Bracey commented on Launchpad that he was having issues with a
>> mismatch between <inttypes.h> and <stdint.h> when printing an int_fast32_t.
>> See https://answers.launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/+question/269083
>>
>> This is due to the fact that on targets where the size of ‘int’ and ‘long’
>> are equal and 32 bits, the current header files will configure the type of
>> int_fast32_t to be ‘int’ and PRIdFAST32 to be ‘ld’ and make printf thus
>> expect a ‘long’. The macro’s used in <stdint.h> come from
>> ‘gcc/config/newlib-stdint.h’.
>
> Are you looking into an older version of newlib by any chance?  We
> added code to newlib's headers to check explicitely at runtime whether
> __INT32_TYPE__ is int or long, and set the PRIxxx32 macros accordingly.
>
> See https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;h=496380c
>
> I just checked this on 32 bit Cygwin:
>
>    $ gcc -E - <<EOF
>    #include <inttypes.h>
>    #include <stdint.h>
>    __INT_FAST32_TYPE__
>    PRIdFAST32
>    EOF
>    [...]
>    int
>    "d"
>
> If there's still anything wrong with that, feel free to send patches.
>

> Corinna

Hi Corinna,

I am on a newer version than the linked patch.

However when I run your example I get int and "ld".
In your example, if you pass -dM, does it show INT32_EQ_LONG to be defined?

BR,
Andre