Am I crazy? Does newlib build nothing? SOLVED

Bryan Ischo bryan@ischo.com
Fri Aug 5 08:58:00 GMT 2011

On 08/04/11 15:35, DJ Delorie wrote:
> In a bare-metal environment, you cross-compile newlib, and different
> tests are done at configure time.
>
> What you're doing different is: trying to use newlib as a linux C
> library.
>
> If you are trying to bootstrap gcc+glibc, do not use newlib - there
> are ways to bootstrap gcc+glibc.  See:
>
> 	http://djdelorie.fedorapeople.org/
>
> The bootstrap GIT repo has a "stage1" script that bootstraps a kernel,
> compiler, and glibc - all from scratch, all cross-compiled.  You solve
> the chicken-and-egg problem by building part of one, then part of the
> other, then more of the first, etc.

Thank you for the pointers.  My apologies for misinterpreting the use of
newlib in a cross-compilation environment; I see now that I really need
to build glibc instead of newlib for my purposes.  Of course I'm having
problems with that too since its configure script *also* wants to be
able to link programs, but that is not the concern of this list, and I
will look at the script that you referenced for clues about how to get
around this.

Thanks again,
Bryan